One of the most popular and referenced recipes ever featured on the R.I.P.P.E.D. blog was the baked egg cups. The R.I.P.P.E.D. community was tagging me left and right with their versions of this protein-packed on-the-go meal. The only problem (if you can call it a problem) was that these egg-y creations contained no carbs. So, as much as they are a fantastic make-ahead meal option, you still have to pack an apple or some form of carbohydrate along with them to keep your ratios balanced. Enter my new favorite egg muffin: Quinoa Egg Cups. These are now completely balanced on their own. You get protein from the egg whites and quinoa, a little fat from either egg yolks, cheese, or both and clean carbohydrates from the quinoa. Add in any veggies you like. Try adding vegetables with lots of fiber to keep you fuller longer. Chopped cauliflower or broccoli would be delicious! I decided on spinach, green onion and olives for my first batch, and they were delicious. The texture is delightful and filling. Another option: omit the veggies and go the “sweet route” by adding in blueberries, cinnamon and a dash of vanilla and Stevia.
Quinoa Egg Cups
Yield: 8 large muffin cups. Serving is 2 cups
Calories: 226: 23 protein, 16.5 carb, 6 fat (other veggies or fruits will add more carbs if you want them)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and cooled Quinoa
- 2 cups liquid egg whites
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1/3 cup green onion
- 1/8 c sliced olives
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Salt and/or Mrs. Dash, plus salt and pepper if desired
- 1/4 cup low fat shredded cheese
Consider these veggies or fruits:
- 1 Cup Mixed Bell Peppers
- 1/4 Cup Onion
- 1/2 Cup Zucchini
- 1/2 Cup Cauliflower
- 1/2 Cup Blueberries
- 1/2 Cup Apples & Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Raspberries and Chia Seeds
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 F.
- Place eggs and egg whites in a bowl and whisk until blended.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, reserving a little cheese to sprinkle on top.
- Spray your muffin tin with a healthy, non-stick cooking spray.
- Scoop mixture evenly into 8 muffin tins (I like silicone cups as there is zero sticking at all).
- Place in the oven and bake for 35 minutes.