There aren’t many foods that top kale in terms of nutrients. Known to be a cancer-fighting powerhouse, this green goddess of a veggie is also high in beta carotene, Vitamin K, Calcium and Vitamin C. Many people are scared of kale because of its stiff leaves and bitter flavor, but with a little effort, these leaves wilt up nicely and take on other flavors while cooking. If you’re looking for a super healthy and balanced meal, give this yummy kale and cauliflower bake a try. The addition of Parmesan cheese adds the right amount of fat, and low-fat chicken sausage adds a smokey flavor with a nice amount of muscle building protein.
In the skillet
Getting ready to bake
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups kale, chopped, stems removed
- dash of salt and pepper
- Pinch of thyme and rosemary
- 4 links nitrate-free, chicken sausage, sliced into half moons
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup fat free ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded and divided
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a casserole dish with olive oil. Place cauliflower in pan and roast for 12 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the olive oil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper, dried herbs and chicken sausage. Mix well, and then add kale. Cover for about 3 minutes, until kale gets bright green and wilted, then remove cover. Sauté for an additional 3 minutes until everything is tender.
- Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, ricotta cheese and half of the Parmesan cheese to the kale. Mix will over medium heat until all has been incorporated.
- Transfer to prepared casserole dish with cauliflower and mix together. Top with remaining Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 238 calories, 10g fat, 584mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, and 18g protein