Yes, the weather outside is becoming frightful, but that doesn’t mean we are to abandon healthy salads! Nature’s greens are nutrition powerhouses, providing lots of vitamins and fiber for minimal calories and fat, if you prepare them sensibly. This glorious and colorful salad has protein-packed Quinoa, bright green asparagus, spicy arugula and flavorful sundried tomatoes. Vegetarians can add some beans to make this a full meal, while everyone else can add a few slices of grilled chicken to increase the protein, making this salad a nicely balanced meal for any time of year. The flavors pack such a punch, that no additional dressing is needed, which cuts down on fat and calories.
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch asparagus, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups organic, baby arugula
- 2 oz crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
- Place the quinoa and chicken broth in a small pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff.
- In a large skillet, placed the sundried tomatoes and garlic in a pan over medium heat. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the asparagus and onion. Saute for 5 minutes or until the asparagus is bright green and the onions are translucent. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- In a large salad bowl, combine half the arugula, quinoa and warm veggies. Toss with vinegar. Toss with remaining arugula and sprinkle with the goat cheese and nuts right before serving.
- Serve with a side of grilled or baked chicken breast, or other lean protein.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 155 calories, 8 g fat, 10g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, and 7g protein