This recipe was inspired by the Queen of R.I.P.P.E.D. herself, Mrs. Tina Shorter. Her healthy version of this BBQ staple was so good, I just had to go home and recreate it. Seasoned with curry and turmeric (SUPER healthy spices with antioxidants galore), this chicken salad has not a drop of mayonnaise and has more protein than typical recipes thanks to a whole container of non-fat plain Greek yogurt. The grapes and apples add sweetness and crunch, while the cashews provide just the right amount of healthy fat to round out the meal. Your guests will go bonkers for this, so be ready to hand out the recipe, and make it for all your summer parties!
- 12 ounces grilled chicken, cooled and then chopped or shredded (I used the ready to go Trader Joe’s variety)
- 1 container plain Greek non-fat yogurt
- 3 T low sugar apricot preserves (I used Trader Joe’s)
- 1-2 T curry powder (or more to your taste)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 T agave nectar
- 1 tsp stevia
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup sliced grapes
- 1 small apple, diced
- 1/4 cup diced celery (optional)
- 1/3 cup cashews
Stir together the yogurt, spices, agave and stevia. Add in the jam. Add in the chicken and stir well. Toss in the remaining ingredients. Top with cashews. You could also add unsweetened coconut, dried apricots or raisins, but the carb count will go up..
CALORIES: 271. Protein: 27, Carbs: 26, Fat: 7