Onion rings and French Fries are among the first foods to go when someone vows to eat healthier. With a little creativity and a different mindset, however, these two naughty foods become quite nice. Give some oven-baking a try and delight the family with this healthy take on onion rings. Serve with a side of grilled chicken and some broccoli and your dinner is perfectly balanced. This side dish is also gluten-free.
1/3 cup liquid egg whites
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 medium yellow onions, sliced into rings
1/2 cup almond meal
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1/2 cup rice chex cereal
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1. Mix egg white with garlic powder and salt.
2. Grind almond meal, chex cereal, flax and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder together to make a fine powder. Place on a shallow dish.
3. Dip each ring quickly into the egg and then into the coating mixture.
4. Lay rings onto a sprayed cookie sheet. Spray the tops with olive oil spray or coconut oil spray.
5. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the onions are cooked through and the coating is crispy.
Calories: 154. Protein: 7; Carbs: 13; Fat: 8