As a kid, I absolutely hated meatloaf. My mom didn’t make it often because she knew it tortured me, but I think it was nostalgic for my dad, so every few months I’d have to plug my nose and force down mouthfuls of unrecognizable meat dressed with ketchup. Due to this obvious childhood trauma, I had never in my life prepared a meatloaf until last night. When I discovered this healthy recipe online, I thought that I just might be able to tweak it and make it healthier, and also dress it up in a way that made me run to the dinner table, rather than away. The result was a, “home run” vote from my family…but better yet, a home run for me. I can now say I no longer despise meatloaf (that is, if I make it my healthy way with 99% fat-free ground organic turkey and Mexican spices).
• 1/2 pound ground turkey
• 1 egg
• 1/2 cup salsa plus 2 tbsp
• 1/8 cup chopped red bell pepper
• 1/3 cup shredded carrot
• 1/4 cup chopped onion
• 1/4 cup dry oats
• 1-2 tsp Mrs. Dash chipotle seasoning
• 2 tsp minced garlic
• 1 tbsp onion flakes
• Begin by heating an oven to 350 degrees.
• Combine the turkey, egg, salsa, peppers, onion, carrot, oatmeal, garlic, spices and onion flakes until well mixed. Place into loaf pan firmly. Spoon 2 tablespoons salsa on top.
• Place in the oven to bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Makes 2 servings
Total Fat 5g
Total Carbs 14g